How to Report Identity Theft and Fraud
If you feel you are a victim of identity theft, (i.e., unauthorized transactions on bank statements or credit card usage, etc), you must act quickly to minimize the damage to your finances and your credit standing.
These steps can really help:
- Call Planters & Citizens Bank at 229-336-5271 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Contact any one of the three major credit bureaus and place a “fraud alert” on your accounts. Request a copy of your credit report, which is free when you are calling to report a fraud on your account. Report any discrepancies to the credit bureaus in writing.
- Call the post office to report any mail tampering at your location.
- Call your credit card companies and close out old card and replace them with new card.
- Report all theft to the Federal Trade Commission by calling 877-ID-THEFT.
- Keep copies of all correspondence and conversations with individuals at your financial institutions, credit bureaus and other agencies.
To report fraud to any of the three major credit bureaus:
Office of Fraud Assistance
P.O. Box 740250
Atlanta, GA 30374
Consumer Fraud Assistance
P.O. Box 1017
Allen, TX 75013-1017
Fraud Victim Assistance Dept
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
To remove your name from telephone solicitation lists, we suggest you register at:
The Federal Government National Do Not Call Registry
To opt-out of pre-approved offers and marketing lists, call:
To report your Social Security Number being used by another person, call:
Social Security Administration Office Of Inspector General